SUNDAYS AT 9 MILE RECREATION AREA
EVERY SUNDAY BEGINNING IN JANUARY (IF CHALET IS OPEN!)
FROM 2:00 – 3:00 PM
The Wausau Nordic Ski Club will again host the Snow Striders program for children in grades kindergarten(K4) through 3rd grade. The program is intended to be fun and get the kids used to being on skis for the enjoyment of our winter. You can use your own equipment or you can use equipment for our rental inventory at no cost.
The program starts on January 17th and is run each Sunday until February 14. There are make-up dates on February 21st and 28th in case we have to cancel one of the other sessions. Attendance at each session is not mandatory, but of course, the more often you can attend, the more you learn.
The cost of this program is FREE for club members. There is no non-member rate. If you need to get a family membership, go to our Membership page and obtain a family membership. To sign your child up for the Snow Striders program, simply click on the Snow Striders sign-up button on this page. If you have multiple children in the program, please sign up all of them as we need their information to make sure we have equipment for them. All Snow Striders need to be preregistered by January 3 – NO DAY Of Registration
We are looking for additional help for this program and ask that parents volunteer to help at 2 more more sessions. Parents are also encouraged to help out on the trails and practice area and just need to wear skis or snowshoes. No experience is needed to help. Please note, due to the Covid-19 protocols, you will not be allowed to be in the chalet for an extended period of time. With that in mind, you may as well put on a pair of skis or snowshoes and join us on the trail.
1:15 – 2:00 – Check-in and Equipment pickup.
2:00 – 3:00 – On-snow activities. (fun stuff)
3:00 – 3:15 – Return equipment
Besides the Snow Strider program, Nine Mile offers young children a “Kids Adventure Trail”, the Cookie Trail, and our Olympic Field of Dreams.
Youth Programs Offered by Wausau Nordic Ski Club
Latest Snow Strider News
- September NewsletterSpringing into Fall – While the weather is far from winter like, the board and volunteers have been busy getting ready to bring the club back to full energy after a year when we struggled to keep things going in a safe manner. There is a lot of optimism that we will be able to have […]
- Snow Striders Start in JanuaryThose of you with children in K4-3rd grade, get them to Snow Striders this winter. The programs will kick off on January 10 and run for 5 weeks every Sunday at 2:00 pm. For information on our program, visit our Snow Striders program page. Equipment is provided, if needed. The cost of […]
- Snow Striders Starts On Sunday, January 5The Snow Strider program for youth, ages 4-9, kicks off this coming Sunday, January 5. It will run 5 weeks through February 2, weather permitting. This has been a great program to introduce kids to cross-country skiing with the emphasis on just getting on skis and having fun. Besides basic lessons, skills are honed […]
- Middle School – Learn-to-Ski MondaysStarting January 13, we will be hosting a Middle School Learn-to-Ski program for anyone interested in trying out the sport. The program is open to any Middle School student. It does not matter what school you go to, just show up at 3:45 PM on Monday afternoons. If you have equipment, great. If not, we’ll […]
- November Newsletter – Update on Club ActivitiesIt has been a busy Fall and the ski season is, hopefully, just around the corner. In order to keep everyone up to speed on club activities, we will send out monthly newsletters in addition to postings on Facebook and the website. Trail Report We can’t open the Nine Mile chalet until the last gun deer […]