The Wausau Nordic Ski Club, Van Ert Electric Co. Inc., and the Hans Berg Family are sponsors of scholarships that are awarded through the Wausau Nordic Ski Club to deserving Senior High School students from the Wausau area. In making selections of appropriate applicants to receive scholarships, the following factors are taken into account:
- The applicant must attend a two or four year technical school/college or university.
- The applicant must have participated in High School Cross-Country Ski competition for a minimum of three years. The applicant need not be a top-level competitor.
- The applicant and/or their family have been a member of the Wausau Nordic Ski Club for at least three years.
- The applicant must demonstrate that he or she has contributed to their sport by acting as a cross-country ski ambassador at school or in their community through coaching, mentoring, or working to increase participation in the sport. Examples of this include, but are not limited to: teaching skiing to younger children, trail work, recruiting peers, participation in club service events and/or activities such as the wax bench at the ski swap, interviews, etc.
- All applicants must submit an application outlining his/her qualifications for the scholarship.
- Financial need of the applicant is a plus, but not a necessity.
- Waiver of individual selection criteria is at the discretion of the Wausau Nordic Ski Club Board Members.
- Criteria letter will be distributed to all cross-country ski athletes/parents by area coaches at the start of each season.
- Seniors must submit their electronic application by January 31st of each year to:
The Wausau Nordic Ski Club President using email@example.com , Receipt of your application will be confirmed.
- Selection of applicant(s) to receive scholarships will be made by the Wausau Nordic Ski Club Board in conjunction with input from area coaches.
** NOTE: The Van Ert Scholarship is a single scholarship awarded as a $500 check
The Wausau Nordic Ski Club Scholarship(s) may vary on a yearly basis in both number and dollar amount, and the Hans Berg Family Scholarship has been at $1000